Many Canadians dream of owning a summer property. They’re a lot of fun and give you the chance to escape to a place for relaxation and leisure. Plus, when you’re not using the property, you can rent it out to make extra money.
But just like with your primary residence, your summer home needs insurance. This protection will give you peace of mind about the property and belongings, and it provides liability coverage should you need it.
Put your property in good hands by contacting R&R Plan today!
We have some of the best rates for summer home insurance and will give you a free quote by phone. Call today. Our team of friendly representatives is ready to walk you through the process and answer your questions.
What Is Summer Home Insurance?
Summer home insurance is a policy that covers a property that is not your primary residence. Properties can be anything from cottages to ski chalets.
This type of policy is similar to your primary home insurance. A summer home insurance plan can include:
Property and Contents Coverage
This coverage protects your property and contents if they get lost, damaged, or destroyed. It can protect against risks specified in the policy, such as:
- Theft with no visible signs of entry
- Bear attack
- Collapse due to snow load
- Squirrel damage
This coverage can protect you if you are responsible for injury to someone else or damage to their property.
For example, let’s say you have a guest at your cottage. They slip on the floor and get seriously injured. Liability coverage can protect you from a lawsuit (up to a certain amount).
What Risks the Policy Doesn’t Cover
Your policy only covers risks that it specifies. Some items that you can’t cover with property insurance include:
- Included in the contents
- We provide $10,000 coverage
- We cover $1000 per tree or shrub and 5% of building value.
- We cover Credit cards $5000
- We cover Lock replacement $500
- we cover septic back – up and sump. This is correct we don’t cover sewer back – up
Additionally, your summer home insurance won’t cover risks that your primary home insurance doesn’t. Examples of these risks can include:
- General wear and tear
- Damage resulting from intentional or criminal acts
- Damage caused by insects or mice. We do cover squirrels
- Damage caused by earthquakes, landslides, etc.
- We do cover freeze up
Do I Need Summer Home Insurance?
If you have a summer home (i.e., a property that isn’t your primary residence), you need summer home insurance. It can protect your property and provide you with liability coverage.
Some owners can choose to include their vacation property under their primary home’s insurance policy. This option falls under seasonal or secondary property insurance. Our agents can discuss with you on the specifics of this approach.
You may also choose to buy separate summer home insurance all together. Our friendly experts can help you decide which is best for you. Call us today for a free quote!
How Much Is Summer Home Insurance?
Summer home insurance costs will vary between property owners. Factors that affect the price of your policy can include:
- How often you visit/rent out your property. If your property remains unoccupied for extended periods, this may raise your rates. Vacant properties are more susceptible to burglaries.
- What kind of risks the policy includes. Certain risks may be more expensive than others based on factors such as your property’s location, road or water access and distance to the fire hall etc.
- Discounts available for things such as security etc
Affordable Summer Home Insurance
Here at R&R Plan, we have the best rates available. We work with you to provide the policy you need at a price you can afford. Call today for a free quote!
Protect Your Getaway with Summer Home Insurance
Too many owners neglect summer home insurance. They think it’s too expensive, or they don’t even realize they need it.
Then, when something happens, they may get stuck with damaged property or even a potential lawsuit.
Take action before the unthinkable happens. Get affordable summer home insurance with R&R Plan today! Call for a free quote and to have your questions answered by one of our friendly representatives.